Beware the Band Aid


I cut my finger. My index finger. The tip of my right index finger. The one I type with (I am a 2-finger typist). How did I cut my finger? On a can of vegetables. On the dangerous lid. Ouch! Time for a band aid!

My finger bled. A lot. It hurt. I washed the cut with soap and water, put antibiotic ointment on the cut and made a bandage out of several band aids. Luckily, I had an old box of band aids in the medicine cabinet. Eventually, the cut stopped bleeding. After several hours I decided to change the bandage. I went to remove the current band aids ... and could not get them off my finger. They were stuck to my skin and would not peel off. I thought I would have to cut them off but could not figure out how to do it without cutting my finger - again. Finally, I was able to pull off the band aids, except they left a number of tiny pieces of the material stuck to my skin. Those were hard to get off, I had to literally rub and/or pick off each tiny piece. It was very annoying. WHY should a band aid stick to your skin so well that you can't get it off - and when you do - you are left with a bunch of tiny sticky residue all over the area surrounding the cut???

I put on a new band aid. I had the same issue when I took off that band aid.

I changed band aids several time over several days - and had the same annoying problem each time!

Hey, band aid makers, you made the band aid TOO good! TOO sticky! Once you put them on you can't get them off! And, when you do finally get them off, there's a bunch of tiny sticky band aid pieces stuck to your skin!

UPDATE
Thanks to my cut finger, I was running low on band aids and bought a new pack at my local supermarket. It had "flexible fabric".
About a week later, I banged my elbow area on a metal door frame (bruise is circled in blue in photo)


It bled a little and soon became an ugly purple contusion. I immediately washed the wound, applied some antibiotic ointment, and put on one of my new band aids. Later, I pulled off the band aid to check the wound, and noticed another smaller bleeding spot above the contusion. I made a bandage out of a large band aid and two small ones and applied it to the area.

After several more hours, I pulled off one end of the band aids to check the bleeding wounds. What did I find? I found several MORE bleeding sores! (circled in blue)


I became scared that I had some new fatal disease that made me bleed for no reason. The bleeding sores were multiplying on my arm! Then, I looked closer and realized that the new bleeding sores appeared exactly where the ends of the band aids had been attached to my skin. Apparently, when pulled off, the band aids had pulled off my arm hair AND the skin. What? I used band aids for treating a bleeding wound and the band aids caused NEW bleeding wounds???

Or maybe I'm just getting old and my skin is getting really really thin. In any event, as a result, I can never use band aids again. Beware the Band Aid!