New TV Trend


I have noticed a new trend in prime time TV.

I have noticed that all my favorite prime time TV fictional action shows now suck. Why? Because we viewers are getting more drama and less action.  Because the shows (and their writers) are now featuring and emphasizing personal difficulties and conflicts in the lives of the main characters. This is not "entertainment", it's not "action", it's drama, it's TV therapy, and b-o-r-i-n-g. 

In TV action shows like "The Equalizer" I'm interested in seeing the star, Queen Latifa, help people, solve or prevent crimes and kick ass. I am NOT interested in exploring her family's inner personal dramas. In the TV show, "9-1-1" I am interested in seeing the team tackle unique WOW disasters and saving lives while working together. I am NOT interested in endlessly exploring the personal inner traumas of the individual characters. It's b-o-r-i-n-g.

I understand why the producers have turned to featuring the internal difficulties and drama facing the shows' characters. It's hard to create fabulous action scenes week after week, year after year. And it's expensive. It's CHEAPER to film drama, on/in a cheap existing set, with dialog (not action) between 2 people rather than create, produce and film full action scenes with special effects and lots of actors. But I don't watch tv fictional action shows for their soap opera plots and soap opera dialog. 

If this trend continues re my favorite TV shows I will dump them. I will stop watching them. I have already started, I switched channels in the middle of last week's Equalizer episode. And, if I can't find good watchable interesting action tv shows (fiction NOT reality!) on any of the major networks, cable channels or steaming pay networks (I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Showtime) I will stop watching tv altogether. And read a book instead. Or maybe write one.