Bikes more important than cars


bike lane steals a lane of traffic

I do my food shopping in nearby Burbank. I drive. The traffic in Burbank is usually light, compared to L.A., which has among the worst traffic in the world (really, it's been documented). I often go to two different supermarkets in Burbank, in 2 different mini shopping centers a few blocks from each other. Yesterday, I went from vons to Smart & Final via my usual route, Verdugo Avenue. Much to my shock, the normal 4 lane street was reduced to 2 lanes -- one lane each way -- thanks to brand new bike lanes being added. WTF? I was concerned that there was not enough room for the many vehicles who turn into the busy shopping center while many other vehicles drive through to a busy 4-way intersection. There used to be 2 lanes each way to accommodate this traffic flow. No more. Now, bike lanes took away half the lanes.

In its brilliance, the City of Burbank added what will be a rarely used bicycle lane, at the expense of much used lanes of traffic!

This bike lane stealing of traffic lanes has been anti-vehicle trend in Los Angeles for a decade. The local government seems to think that people in L.A. have a f-ing choice regarding driving where they need, or want, to go. Mass transit in L.A. sucks and often doesn't go anywhere close to your destination. And, because L.A. is so spread out (over 500 square miles) all too often you can't ride a bike or walk to where you are going. You have to use a car. Or truck. And, REDUCING the number of lanes of traffic does NOT reduce the horrific traffic congestion in L.A. and surrounding areas. It makes it WORSE!


And now my beloved Burbank has been bitten by the overly aggressive bike lane bug.



The L.A. city council, taking away more traffic lanes