Pay more get less

 

They Shrunk My Bread

December 2022. I bought a new loaf of bread. "Nature's Own" 100% Whole Wheat. My usual brand. When I opened the loaf and took out a slice I was stunned. The slice of bread was small! MUCH smaller! Not even close to the size the slices of bread has been for the decades I have been eating it. These new slices easily fit into the palm of my hand. WTF? They shrunk my bread! I don't know how much they shrunk the size but the slice seems like maybe 25% smaller. 

Product shrinkage. Companies do it on purpose, they reduce the size or amount, to save money or make more money. It's call Shrinkflation. And it sucks.

And, to make matter worse, the price had gone up as well! I used to normally pay like $3.49 a loaf. Now, it was $4.49. That's a price increase of over 25%. A bread inflation rate of over 25%. WTF?

A double curse. Smaller product.  Higher price. They shrunk my bread AND raised the price! 

Now, with the much smaller size, one slice is not enough. Either I add another slice, or go hungry. If I add a  another slice to eat I will gain weight which I NOT want to do. If I don't add another slice I will be hungry, and angry about it. Hangry. Can I change brands? This brand is the best tasting of the several I have tried. Now smaller and pricier but still tasty. Maybe I should start baking my own bread?  And making my own dessert carrot cake. And making my own ice cream and popsicles. Yeah, maybe I'll start making ALL the foods I eat! From scratch. Or not.