Trash

 I buy my trash bags at vons. I've been buying these for decades.


I went to vons to buy more of them today. These Signature trash bags are the vons brand and are a lot cheaper than the major brand names and they work well, so I keep buying them. 

A month ago I paid $7.99, the usual price. Today the listed price on this item was $10.99. A $3 jump. In 30 days.

That's an inflation rate of 37.5%. In 1 month. That's an annualized inflation rate of 450%!

I was stunned. I was outraged. Yes, I know, it's only $3 more but it's the principle of it. EVERYTHING has gone up in the last year, often by more than 20%. I made a fuss. Right there in the trash bag isle. I loudly pointed out the price jump to other shoppers. "Look at this! $10.99! That's a jump of $3, in a month." They were all sympathetic and said, "I know. It's terrible." I then said, "Maybe I'll stop using trash bags. Maybe I'll just throw my loose trash off the balcony. To save money." They laughed. Sort of.

I also bought more toilet paper. The vons brand.


Luckily it was still priced at the uninflated low price of $7.99. So my balcony was safe from me considering using it as a bathroom.